Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Latest Lipid Panel Bloodwork Results

Those of you who have followed this blog know that back in October 2009, I blogged about my high cholesterol. I was diagnosed with it back in March of 2006 and mine is a genetic problem. I cannot take statins because they cause me to have muscle pain and weakness.
Back in October, I went to a new doctor and he did a complete bloodwork on me. At that time my cholesterol and triglycerides were the highest they've ever been, but I had not really been watching what I ate. Although even when I do watch what I eat, my cholesterol and triglycerides are still high because I inherited this medical problem from my mother. When she was alive her doctor used to tell her that she could eat absolute nothing and still have high cholesterol and triglycerides. That's because our liver produces more cholesterol and triglycerides than our bodies need. She took statins, but I think they were the cause of her death because she died of congestive heart failure and statins can cause heart failure if you do not take COQ10 when taking statins. Doctors do not tell you that.
Anyway, this morning I went back per my doctor and had my lipid panel bloodwork redone. For three months, I've watched a little better what I've been eating, plus I've been taking Bayer Heart Health Advantage, Phillips Colon Health and Mega-Red Krill Oil. My levels are still high, but not as high as they were three months ago.

3 months ago:                                              
Total Cholesterol = 326
Today:
Total Cholesterol = 293 (Down 33 points)
3 months ago:
Total Triglycerides = 326
Today:
Total Triglycerides = 213 (Down 113 points)
3 months ago:
Total HDL (Good) = 47
Today:
Total HDL (Good) = 50 (Up 3 points)
3 months ago:
Total LDL (Bad) = 214
Today:
Total LDL (Bad) = 200 (Down 14 points)

I know my numbers are still high, but I'm pleased that they came down some. I think it may be those three extra supplements I'm taking. Hopefully, my numbers will continue to come down.         

3 comments:

  1. You have some interesting blogs. Sorry to hear you have a medical problem. Hope you find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I'm glad the supplements have helped. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kay, I'm new to your blog but what do I find? but someone who is battling the same high numbers as I. My tri's are the highest at 488 but gradually coming down. I started taking 2000 mgs of omega3 fish oil and it dropped my numbers to 324 in less than 3 months, so I was pretty happy.
    Good luck staying healthy. It sure gets tricky sometimes. I'm going to check with my Dr. about your supplements...thanks for sharing and
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay