Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Home From Two Dentists

Went to my regular dentist at 1:00 pm. He took an x-ray but could not see anything wrong. He did the "hit the teeth with a small hammer" test to see if the tooth nerves were OK. No problem there. He didn't know what to do next, so he sent me to a Endodontist. The Endodontist looked at the x-ray I took to him, then he too did the "hammer" test. Nothing. Next he sprayed C02 on each tooth in the area to see if the nerves reacted. Well they did! The Endodontist said that this meant that the nerves were not dead and that I did not seem to need a root canal. He felt the swelling near my jaw bone and said that he thought it is possibly just inflammation of the muscle that runs from the lower jaw to the pivot of the jaw just in front of the ear. He said that there are so many muscles and ligaments in the face that it could be just about anything. He gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin (an anti-biotic) and told me to take three Ibuprofen (an anti-inflammatory) every 4 to 6 hours as needed. He said even though they tell you to take only one Ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours, that three is the prescription strength.
He said if I'm still having throbbing pain by Friday, to call him back to come in and see what else he can do. Otherwise, he said the anti-biotic should make the pain go away within seven days.
Hope he's right.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, We're home from our 2-day Hendersonville adventure. The plumbing is fixed and the folks are happy (I hope). Sorry I haven't been around much this week...

    Hope the antibiotic takes care of the jaw problem. There's nothing worse than a toothache.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay