Thursday, September 16, 2010

Do You Remember Bobby Vee?

Bobby Vee was born Robert Thomas Velline in 1943. He was born in North Dakota.
His career began amid tragedy. On Feb. 3, 1959 the three headline acts (Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper) in the line-up of the traveling 'Winter Dance Party' were killed in a plane crash on their way to Moorehead, Minnesota. Bobby,then aged 15, and a hastily-assembled band of Fargo, North Dakota schoolboys calling themselves The Shadows volunteered for and were given the unenviable job of filling in for Holly and his band at the Moorhead engagement. Their performance there was a success, setting in motion a chain of events that led to Bobby's career as a popular singer.
Bobby Vee is still touring and performing today.
Some of his hit songs were "Take Good Care Of My Baby", "Rubber Ball", "Devil Or Angel", and "Run To Him". The video below shows him singing "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes".



2 comments:

  1. I don't really remember this guy I don't think... I do remember "Take Good Care of my Baby" ---so maybe I do remember Bobby Vee... Don't know the song you have featured on the video.

    Have a great day, Kay.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a " FANATICAL " but " NEW " to the BOBBY VEE Fan Club. Unlike so many of his fans who have been with him from way back and through thick and thin, for me as a teenager in the 60's, I liked Bobby Vee's records, but at the same level I did with other rockers of the time. It was only last Spring when I stumbled across a video of the Vee doing a live performance on American Banstand singing " RUN TO HIM " to a BLACK girl sitting next to him and then sharing the song with a WHITE girl on the other side of him during the " OH NO YOU WON'T 60'S ", that I said to myself, " WOW " and I've been WOWED by him ever since. Since then I have read so much up on this man, how he got started from a tragedy, plus the tragedy's in his own life all the way up to his present diagnosis of Alzheimers, which I don't believe he has. Depression yes, Alz no. I truly " love this man ". I've put my life in rerun and put the Vee into my life and rerun it and you know what, all those pitfalls and life's challenges are still there, but with the Vee there too, they no longer " hamper my life ". What a man he is, BEAUTIFUL inside and out. I use the term " LOVE THAT BOB ", from the " BOB CUMMINGS SHOW " of the late 50's through early 60's. I would like to see the BOBBY VEE MOVIE as so many other singers have had. A new young country singer " HUNTER HAYES ", if interested, could play the young BOBBY VEE and as BOB CUMMINGS would say, " HOLD IT I THINK YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE THIS PICTURE " ! LOVE THAT BOB !

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay