Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Power Main Breaker Fixed

Got up at 2:15 am to go to the bathroom. I have night lights all over my house and when I got up, I noticed it was darker than normal then realized that the night lights were not on. I started checking the rest of the house and found that 2/3 of my house did not have any electricity. The exact same thing happened 15 years ago and at that time one of the guys from the our community's construction crew came by and found that the underground electrical box between my house and my neighbor's house had shorted out, so I was guessing that the same box was causing the problem. I could not go back to sleep because I was upset. I called Javier (the foreman of the community crew) and he came by around 8:30 and checked it out. He found that what was causing the problems was my main breaker switch. It had shorted out and so the GFI shut it down to prevent it from catching fire. He said he'd come back during his lunch break and replace it for me. Since it is not a community problem, he cannot fix it except on his own time. He got it working for me until he was able to come back. So I had called Jean a little after 6 am because we had planned to leave around 8 am to go up to the Poppy Reserve. We have rescheduled our trip for Friday. I went out after lunch and sprayed some weeds in the area of the yard that I do not let Hiker go into. Since I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night, I fell asleep on the sofa this afternoon. Javier arrived around 3 pm to fix the breaker. He said he was extremely busy with work today so it took him awhile to get back. It only took him 10 minutes to switch out the breaker. He showed it to me. You could see where the plastic around the terminals had melted. It was very warm here today. Got up to 90° on my patio.

1 comment:

  1. Glad your power was restored. Thanks for the info on the Poppy Reserve. What a beautiful place. Enjoy your visit there.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay