Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Latest On Ben

Lanny, Ben's brother came by and picked me up around 12:00 noon and took me over to the hospital to see Ben. This is the first time Lanny has seen him since he's been in there. I'm so glad Lanny was there because he is a lawyer and the surgeon was there and Lanny knows the right questions to ask. The surgeon says, yes, Ben is very sick, but they are very optimistic. Right now he has paralysis in his intestines, but that's because he is not taking anything orally and this is very common. The surgeon ordered a special X-ray to check things out but he said that it just appears that Ben is having "normal" post operative things going on. He explained, in detail for Lanny, how things were before the surgery and what they did during surgery. Someone from the respiratory department came in while we were there and explained a lot of stuff to us too.
They had lessened Ben's sedation, so he was opening his eyes a little and he was moving around a lot. Moving his legs, etc. I asked him to wiggle his toes and he did, so I don't know if he did it because I asked him or if it was just reflex. When I would talk to him, he would open his eyes halfway and look at me. He seemed to see me and know I was there, but I'm not certain. They kept telling me to "interact" with him to stimulate him.
Lanny seemed pretty encouraged by his moving around and opening his eyes. We stayed with him for a couple of hours, but Lanny had to get back to Los Angeles for a meeting and I was starting to feel a little weak.
They seem to really be taking excellent care of him. I just with Kaiser had done as well. I feel a lot better now seeing him open his eyes and move around as he did.
God is Great.

2 comments:

  1. There will be some ups and downs I'm sure but I know you feel so much better to be there and be with him. Glad you're feeling just a bit better. Remember to take care of yourself too so you can be strong for Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes God is great and prayer does work.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay