Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"Training" Tuesday

I hate to say it but I'm starting to feel like I might start going through some of Ben's clothes soon and start giving some to charity. May not start this week...maybe next week, maybe not. I'll see how I feel about it once I start looking through his things. I was a little nervous about going to The Gentle Barn today. I almost felt like I was applying for a job, plus the fact that I'm basically a very shy person. This was a big step for me. Ben would not believe that I did this because he knew how "chicken" I always was about meeting new people and going places by myself. But after all of the "strangers" I had to deal with while he was in the hospital and since he died, I guess I've gotten a little more used to it. Still don't like it though. I know I'm on my own now for the rest of my life and that I no longer have him here to push me and support me, so I have to do these things on my own. I was at The Gentle Barn for an hour. There were two other women at the orientation too, one about my age and the other maybe in her 20's but we won't be volunteering together for now. There sure is a lot of stuff you have to remember. Not only do you pet and hug the animals, you have to make sure they have water, make sure you hose them down if it's a really hot day, especially the pigs as they can sunburn, and you have to clean up the animal poop. Found out that you do not have a “regular” schedule for volunteering. You talk with Michelle who does the scheduling and see what days they might need you and then you commit to the days you can work. I won't be going back until Thursday September 1st and I will be on what they call “Pixie Patrol”. Pixie is a little young goat and she can get into all kinds of trouble, so it will be my job to keep her out of trouble, plus back up the other Barn Buddy who will be there. I have not met the Barn Buddy who will be there with me yet. We have to keep certain animals away from each other as they do not get along sometimes, for instance, the 1000 lb. pig Biscuit intimidates the 800 lb. pig Zeus, so you have to keep them apart, in fact you have to try to keep most of the animals away from Biscuit because he pretty much intimidates all of the animals. So....I'll just have to see how it goes I guess and see if I enjoy it or not. They also asked us never to bring lunch that contains meat or dairy products out of respect for the animals at The Gentle Barn. The animals basically “rule” the place. It is NASTY HOT here today. At 3:30 pm it was 103°

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay