Thursday, September 1, 2011

Temblor Thursday

Today's quote:

“No one ever really dies as long as they took the time to leave us with fond memories”~Chris Sorensen

Got up a little earlier than normal this morning so I could get some things done before I headed over for my first day of volunteering. I thought of Ben and started crying. I was wondering what he would think about me “getting out there” and taking care of myself. I thought of how I can never share my feelings and thoughts with him anymore and that's what made me cry. The little hummers were at the feeder early this morning. Guess they wanted to get out before the heat. So I hate to say this, but I did NOT like volunteering today. I was extremely bored. Wasn't so bad when I first got there. All of the animals were walking around and coming up to me. I was petting them and talking to them. The other person there with me today was a woman in her 30's. She was nice, but she didn't seem like she wanted to have much conversation. She would hang out on the other side of the barnyard from me. I'd go sit by her and try to start talking with her, but she didn't say much, so I'd move on. All of the animals decided to go to sleep around 9:45 am, so for the next 2 to 2 ½ hours, there was nothing to do but just sit. I was barely getting phone service there, so I could not really call anyone. I was able to send out a couple of text messages, but I had to walk around the barnyard until I could find a signal. I had hoped that the animals would have been more active and that there would have been at least a couple of people there to have a little conversation with. I'm thinking that if the other woman would have been more my age, we would have been able to sit and talk. The animals started to wake up and move around again about 15 minutes before it was time for us to leave. I could not wait to get home and take a shower. I felt so dirty. When I got home I jumped into the shower. I got out and made a lunch and sat down on the sofa to eat and a 4.2 earthquake hit. Scared the heck out of me. It only lasted about 5 seconds. Felt like the sofa was falling out from under me then the house shook a little. I could hear the rumble. I grabbed my cell phone and called my brother Keith in Orange, CA. He did not feel it as he was about 50 miles away from the epicenter (Newhall, CA) and he was driving his car. He kept telling me I'd be OK. I then called my friend DeDee over in Sylmar, CA to make sure she was OK. She too had just sat down to have lunch and felt the quake. She was about the same distance from the epicenter as me, only on the other side of it. We had just talked about this last Tuesday at lunch, about how both of us were afraid to think about the next big quake that will come since both of us are now without our husbands. Anyway, I guess I'll have to think about finding volunteer work somewhere else. When I went into the office to sign out after my volunteer shift was done, there was no one there for me to talk to, so I guess if they call me, I'll just have to tell them that it was just not what I was looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad this did not turn out well.I am sure you will find some meaningful things to do.Glad to hear you are safe,but I can imagine it would be a little scary.


I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.