Friday, March 2, 2012

Lots Of Walking

Had trouble going to sleep last night. Took a sleep aid around midnight. I do that when I get “hyped up”, which I was because of my new “toy” (my iPhone). Keith told me he does the same thing when he gets new “toys”. I mentioned yesterday that besides getting my iPhone that I also got the Verizon home phone device to save some money. I did have AT&T as my home phone provider. It was just a regular “land-line” and it was costing me $40 a month and that included was “local calling”. I had to make a call to my tax man a few weeks ago, so AT&T charged me $1.99 for accessing long distance and then added the “long distance” fees and who knows what else, so it ended up costing me $5 for a 1 minute call to my tax man and I didn't even talk to him as I got his answering machine. Decided I had to do something so went with the Verizon home phone device. It only costs me $19.99 a month and that is unlimited (long distance, voice mail, caller ID, etc.). Was able to keep my old phone number too. Only problem is that you have to wait 2 to 10 days to receive incoming calls because they have to “port” the line over from AT&T. I can make outgoing calls though. I also checked into their Personal Hotspot for the Internet. Decided not to get it yet, but at least found out they do have it. I could get wireless Internet for 5 devices for about $50 a month, which is good to know in case Time Warner and my community do not come to an Internet agreement. What was really nice was that I received a bunch of discounts because I did a “partial bundle” and because I was a retired employee of Lockheed-Martin. Several of you have asked me about the Red Yeast Rice I said I was taking that has helped lower my cholesterol numbers. Several people think it is actually “rice” but it is a soft capsule filled with RYR powder, so it is a herbal supplement. If you Google Red Yeast Rice, you can learn about it. I buy it at either Wal-Mart or Sam's Club because it is cheaper there. My doctor prescribed 1200 mg a day. I take 2 capsules with breakfast and 2 capsules with dinner. Got the Corolla over to the Toyota dealer by 9:00 am and Keith picked me up. They told me it needed the “major service” as it was supposed to have been done at 80,000 miles and I now have 92,000 miles on it. Told them to go ahead and do it. We came home and took Hiker on a 2.21 mile walk then Keith wanted to go to some Thrift shops. Got a call from Toyota saying that my water pump is leaking, so have to replace that. I'm seeing $$$$ again. LOL. Got an email from Verizon telling me that some of the discounts I applied for on my phone, accessories and services would not be honored because they checked and Verizon will give the discounts to current Lockheed-Martin employees, but NOT to retirees. Oh well, I hadn't really expected them anyway when I walked into the store. After we picked up my car from the dealer, we went over to Central Park and hiked into the hills behind the park. Another 1.73 miles.


4 comments:

  1. I hope you will enjoy your iPhone as much as I do mine.It is so much more than a phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the perks and not so perky in technology is hard to figure out sometime. I sent a new cell phone back recently and ended up having to change my number and now I can't get long distance calls. I'm 'bout ready to drop it and get a new phone from a different service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you with a new toy. I hope to get one when we are in USA as they are cheaper there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of the home phone thing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay