Thursday, November 19, 2015

Surgery Day

Didn’t get much sleep last night. Didn’t go to bed until 11 pm and didn’t fall asleep until about midnight. Woke up a little after 2 am and had trouble falling back to sleep, but I did. Was planning on getting up at 5:45 am but woke up around 5 am and got up to start putting my eye drops into my eyes and got dressed around 5:30.
My appointment was 9:45 am but I had to be there to check in at 8:15. We got there around 8:10 and I was told that my doctor was about 40 minutes ahead of schedule. Found out it was because 2 patients were “no shows”. How can you forget to show up for surgery? But that made it better for me. Sat in the waiting room for about 15 minutes before they called me into the pre-op room. I was in there for about 20 minutes before my doctor came in to talk to me, then we went into the operating room. Was in there for about 10 minutes. Did not feel a thing and all I saw was lights and colors. Went into recovery room and they signed me out after about 15 minutes, so everything took about 45 minutes and I was in Jean’s car heading home 5 minutes before my actual appointment time.
Before I left, my doctor told me to continue putting the eye drops into my eyes as soon as I got home, but the discharge nurse told me to not put them in until after I see the doctor tomorrow morning. My discharge paperwork told me to continue using he drops as soon as I got home. About 30 minutes after I was home, my phone rang and it was the discharge nurse telling me that she had told me wrong and that I was supposed to use them today. Luckily, because my doctor and my paperwork told me that, I had already put the drops in right after I got home.
Now my problem is I have to wear this eye shield for 24 hours. Can only take it off to put my eye drops in. After the 24 hours (and after my follow-up with my doctor tomorrow), I still have to wear it at night when I sleep. My glasses won’t fit over the shield so it is hard to watch TV. I took the lens out of the right side of my glasses so when I don’t have to wear the shield.
I’ll be glad when the dilation goes down in my right eye. The vision in the right eye (the one I had the lens replacement in) is somewhat better than it was, but so far, not as good as I expected. Hopefully it is just adjusting and will be better. Right now there is still a lot of distortion which may still be caused from the retinal problems I have. Was really hoping that the distortion would go away. I do notice that I can see more light and the colors are brighter.


I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.