Friday, May 1, 2015

Good-bye Tallulah

Did our Friday dog walk with Jean this morning?
After Breakfast, told Hiker we needed to go down to the community office to pay the land lease. She started barking from excitement because she knows that Marcie, who works at the office, has dog treats. We walked down there and Hiker was in the lead. She knows where we are going so she turns at all of the right places, etc. When we get there, she goes right into the office and right to Marcie’s desk.
I had the community foreman come by my house today. The fence between my yard and the neighbor’s yard is starting to “separate” and I was afraid it would eventually fall and maybe hurt Hiker or my neighbor’s dog. Since I lease the land my house sits on, I’m responsible for the maintenance of the fence. My neighbor’s had said we both needed to see what was causing the problem and we’d both get it fixed, but the foreman said that the cause of the fence separating is the roots from my big shade tree. So the repair is all on me, which I accept. He said he knew I wouldn’t like it but he suggested I have the tree removed because if he fixes the fence the roots will mess it up again, plus the roots might go under my patio and destroy it and also they might go under my house foundation and cause damage to it. He said he had fixed a fence at another house for the same reason and he had cut its roots back, but the shock to the tree killed it within a few months and the owner had to have the dead tree removed anyway. So I decided it would be best to go ahead and have the tree removed. He said he would include lawn replacement in the price.
I hate to lose the tree, but I’d hate it more to have foundation problems or have the tree roots completely knock the fence down and have someone get hurt and I end up with a lawsuit. He told me they might start work on it tomorrow.
The tree is very sentimental to me because Ben and I went to the nursery together one Saturday many years ago and picked the little tree out, brought it home and planted it and watched it turn into the big shade tree it is now. Ben even named the tree. Her name was Tallulah. But I know Ben would go along with my decision to remove it so it won’t cause me any more problems. I shed a few tears after making the decision to remove it.

Good-bye Tallulah

1 comment:

I appreciate your comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Kay